Wednesday, November 14, 2012

First Product Review - Umberto U Color Italian Demi Color Kit

Last October my hairdresser decided to close up her shop and move down to Florida, which has left me in a bit of a lurch for my hair care.  Pre-pregnancy I was a 6-8 weeks color, cut, highlights, and eyebrow waxing kind of girl.  For those of you who don't know, you're not really suppose to regularly color your hair during pregnancy - so I went once.  Since then I have been hoping around hair dressers trying to find one I like, trust, and is reasonably priced - one of things that makes me most nervous is color.  So I have gone back to saving the $100+ bucks and started coloring my hair again by myself.

In the past year I have tried many brands - Garnier, Clairol, John Friedia, etc.  I made a rare trip to Ulta to pick out some hair dye (I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay with the champagne color or go back to a golden blonde).  Ulta has a much larger selection of hair dye than the grocery store/pharmacy, so I was hoping this would help narrow down my decision.  I walked away with the Umberto U Color Italian Demi Color Kit in very light blonde.  One of the reasons I chose this one was that in came with two packets of color, which is nice for $11.99.

My newly colored hair.
This system is interesting, you have three packets that are attached together, all you are suppose to do is cut across the packets while folded together and work the mixture into you hair.  Let it sit for 25 mins (which seems a little longer than usual) and rinse.  Now the interesting thing is, after you rinse the dye out, you are suppose to shampoo your hair, and use your own conditioner.  This had me a bit worried, as often pre-conditioning my newly colored hair feels dry and brittle.  But not so much with Umberto!  My hair still feels like it did before (if not a little better), and the color looks great (I was worried about it looking orange).  Also my hair didn't have that hair dye smell, which is often the case.

My only complaint so far is that it only comes with one glove per packet and is a little messy compared the bottles/foam dyes.  I highly recommend wearing an old t-shirt while using this product, and keep away from any bath mats in case you drip while coloring (although it was fine during the 25 minute processing time).

So I give it 4.5 stars out of 5 for  the home hair dye coloring experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment